Thursday, August 30, 2012

Review: A Midsummer Tights Dream

A Midsummer Tights Dream (Misadventures of Tallulah Casey #2), by Louise Rennison. The GoodReads summary:
It’s the hotly anticipated sequel to the winner of the Roald Dahl Funny Prize, WITHERING TIGHTS – laugh your tights off as Tallulah Casey and her bonkers mates return for a new term at Dother Hall performing arts college. Boys, snogging and bad acting guaranteed!

Yaroooo! Tallulah’s triumphant Heathcliff in ‘Wuthering Heights’ the comedy musical was enough to secure her place at Dother Hall performing arts college for another term. She can’t wait to see her pals again, Charlie and the boys from Woolf Academy and maybe even bad boy Cain…

When an international visitor comes to stay could the bright lights of Broadway be calling? And for who? Find out in the next Misadventures of Tallulah Casey.
Man, am I really starting to adore this series. I LOVED the first book (Withering Tights), and while this one was a little more scattered and repetitive, it still amused me to no end. Tallulah is just so hilarious, with her knees and her owls and her obsession with certain boys. She makes me smile practically non-stop with her ridiculousness. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some heavy, hard-hitting YA, but I also adore the light and fluffy and relatively plotless, especially when it’s as amusing as this series.

I just appreciate that Tallulah and her friends are silly and completely ridiculous and kinda immature but still completely likeable. They act like they really are 14, rather than the wise-beyond-their-years types that tend to crop up in YA. And I love every single person at the school and in town, from the knitting-crazy Dobbins to the over-the-top drama teachers to the womanizing Cain. The author has created a community that is perfectly wonderful (and hilarious) to read about.

So overall, yes, I still recommend this series. While this second one wasn’t quite as good as the first, I still thoroughly enjoyed it and am definitely looking forward to the next book coming out. I think I’ve found a new series to add to my go-to list for when I need to be mindlessly entertained.

Rating: 4 / 5

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like such a fun story. I have to admit, reading hard-hitting YA is difficult all the time. Sometimes you just need something light to make you forget a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh. I've been meaning to read 'Wuthering Tights' for awhile now. I love me some light, fluffy and funny YA. Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished Withering Tights the other day. It took me a little bit to get into it, but it was still really cute. I didn't realize the sequel was out already. I'll have to see what happens with her and Charlie.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...