Thursday, August 23, 2012

Book Light Confessional: The Best Book I Never Read



Here's the thing. I love Jane Austen's "Persuasion." I'm pretty sure it's my favorite Jane Austen story. I love Anne and her strength to grow beyond who she used to be. I admire her steadfastness and loyalty, as well. And Captain Wentworth . . . um, he only wrote what is possibly the most romantic letter of all time. I just really, really like "Persuasion."

Only, I've never actually read the book. I've seen the various film adaptations; I've read summaries and reviews; I've even had detailed conversations about it--but I've haven't ever sat down and experienced the real thing. Is that bad? It's just that I'm not always a huge fan of Jane Austen's writing. Yes, she's witty and insightful and eloquent, but she's got that whole 1800s writing style going on, and I just have trouble finding the effort to fight my way through it. The movies are just so much more easily digestible.

I fully intend to read "Persuasion" . . . someday. Scout's honor. But in the meantime, I'll just keep pretending that I've actually read it when I discuss it with people. Don't tell.

Do you have any books that you love despite never having read them? Or any books you pretend to have read?

6 comments:

  1. So, I have to say this post makes my heart hurt a little bit. Because, Persuasion is close to being my favorite book of ALL. TIME. But then, I also adore Jane Austen's writing, 1800s writing style and all. :) I also love, love, love the '95 film version with Amanda Root & Ciaran Hinds. Beautiful. Captain Wentworth is by far my favorite Austen hero. I could gush about this book forever.

    I don't think I've ever pretended that I've read a book, but there are books I pretend to love more than I actually do. Like 'Alice in Wonderland.' I love the IDEA of that book. The actual book? Not so much. :) I'm sure there are others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I have been meaning to read Persuasion for the longest time. So many bloggers just rave and rave on about it and I feel like I'm missing out on so much. Like you I'm more partial to the movie adaptations than Austens actual books. One day I'm going to make myself read this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have seen the movies and know all of the basics of the story then it should be really easy to read the book. It's not a long book at all - most of the editions are around 250-300 pages. You should give it a try. You can even get it free on Kindle.

    Captain Wentworth = best letter ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the confession....I'm totally with you. I saw the most recent adaptation for the 1st time a couple years back and it became one of my favorite movies. I have even read the fan fiction of the book from Cpt. Wentworth's perspective. But for some reason, I still haven't picked up Persuasion...and I kind of dread it, worrying that it will diminish my love for the story. Here's to the love of Jane Austen!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! This is totally how I am with Sense and Sensibility. I love the movie version of it (even if it has Hugh Grant) I don't even know how many times I've seen it. It's one of my favorite Jane Austen's. But I'm pretty sure I've never actually read the book.
    I think I read Persuasion in high school and didn't get it. I might have to try it again as an adult. And Sense and Sensibility. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm gonna be honest here... I LOVE Jane Austen, LOVE LOVE her! But... they can be seriously boring. I am a high action girl- and they lack that...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...