Thursday, July 21, 2011

Paranormalcy

Since there is officially LESS THAN A WEEK (!!!) until "Supernaturally," by Kiersten White, comes out, I thought I'd post my original review of "Paranormalcy," since 'tis the season and all that jazz.


I was going to say that I was pleasantly surprised by "Paranormalcy," by Kiersten White, but I realized that doesn't fully capture my feelings about the book. You see, my expectations were so low, but the book ended up being so GOOD . . . maybe "ecstatically surprised" better captures the emotion? I don't know--I'm not feeling eloquent. But seriously, this book ROCKED.

The summary:
Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours. But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures. So much for normal.
I'm not generally fond of books about vampires/werewolves/fallen angels/fairies. Minus the fallen angels, "Paranormalcy" has all of the above. So believe me, I was shocked to discover how much I enjoyed the book. But here's why I loved it: Evie, the main character, was AWESOME! (See, I told you I wasn't feeling eloquent. Hence, my overuse of words in all caps . . . I'm desperately trying to compensate.) But, no, really, she is. I'm definitely adding her to my list of literary BFFs. She's just so funny and quirky and down to earth and easy to relate to despite her freaky powers. And admittedly, I probably love her even more since I read "Paranormalcy" right after reading "Nevermore," by Kelly Creagh, in which the main girl drove me batty--I seriously wanted to reach through the screen of my Kindle and SMACK that freakin' Isobel. Ahem. Anyway, Evie was just so much fun to hang out with for 352 pages.

Another benefit of the book is Lend, Evie's shape-shifting love interest. He's a good, solid, quality guy. He's pretty perfect actually: cute, funny, sincere . . . really I could go on and on. I know sometimes in books this type of guy can get boring after awhile, but I liked Lend from start to finish.

And speaking of Lend, let me share my favorite quote. Just thinking about this part makes me smile:
[Evie is obsessed with normal teenage life, and she's talking to Lend about what his life outside the Center is like.]

"But, yes, I have a driver's license."

I leaned back against the wall, sighing. "Man, that must be so cool."

"It ranks right up there with the lockers. In fact, sometimes I put my license in my locker, and it's so cool I worry the whole thing might explode with the coolness of it all."
And that right there sums up why I love Lend.

So really, need I say it? Read it!

Oh, and P.S. the title names are HIlarious funny.

3 comments:

  1. Well, you've convinced me. I'm going to put this one on hold at the library.
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurie, you should! It's so GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh bleep, I'm so excited for this one too! Evie really was such a fun and spunky character to read about, and Lend was definitely the kind of guy I would want as my best friend/boyfriend! :)

    Can't wait until it comes out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...