Friday, March 16, 2012

Friday Favorites: Heist Society

On Fridays I post a little shout out to one of my favorite books and explain why I love it so much. It gives me the chance to fangirl over books I never reviewed on this blog and lets me post about some not-necessarily-YA books I love.


Which book?
Heist Society, by Ally Carter

Genre?
Contemporary YA

Summary?
When Katarina Bishop was three, her parents took her to the Louvre . . . to case it. For her seventh birthday, Katarina and her Uncle Eddie traveled to Austria . . . to steal the crown jewels. When Kat turned fifteen, she planned a con of her own--scamming her way into the best boarding school in the country, determined to leave the family business behind. Unfortunately, leaving "the life" for a normal life proves harder than she'd expected.

Soon, Kat's friend and former co-conspirator, Hale, appears out of nowhere to bring her back into the world she tried so hard to escape. But he has good reason: a powerful mobster's art collection has been stolen, and he wants it returned. Only a master thief could have pulled this job, and Kat's father isn't just on the suspect list, he is the list. Caught between Interpol and a far more deadly enemy, Kat's dad needs her help.

Kat’s solution: track down the paintings and steal them back. So what if it's a spectacularly impossible job? She's got two weeks, a teenage crew, and hopefully just enough talent to pull off the biggest heist in her family's (very crooked) history--and, with any luck, steal her life back along the way.

When did I first read it?
Last summer

Why did I first read it?
I was seeing a bunch of reviews for the sequel, “Uncommon Criminals,” and I thought, “Hey, I haven’t even read the first book in the series. Maybe I should give it a shot.” Good decision.

What did I think about it then?
Love was in the air! As soon as I finished it, I knew it was going on my shelf of favorite books. Kat was freakin’ awesome, and Hale was the swooniest non-love interest I’d ever met (or, er, read about). Plus, I got sucked into the hijinks and the con and was 100 percent invested in how it would turn out.

What do I think about it now?
Well, obvs I still love it a lot, since it only became one of my favorites less than a year ago. It’s near the top of my list of books I really want to reread but haven’t had time to yet. Looking back, I’m actually kind of surprised I adore this book so much. It’s very Ocean’s 11, and I’ve never been much of one for that kind of action-y book/movie. I’m more of a “Give me a whiney heroine with boy problems” type. So kudos to Ally Carter for getting me so entranced with a book that’s not my usual style. And Uncommon Criminals is just as awesome, fyi.

Have you read Heist Society? What did you think?

Read my reviews
Heist Society
Uncommon Criminals

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read Heist Society yet. I keep meaning too because the title is so catchy but I never seem to get around to doing it. I think part of the reason is that I fear it will be one of those books that's so good it'll put me off writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly how I ended up reading Heist Society. I went to the little presentation Ally Carter gave at the Provo Library when the second book came out and thought she was hilarious. Thanks for the reminder that I need to read the sequel. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...