Friday, February 17, 2012

Friday Favorites: Sarah Addison Allen

On Fridays I post a little shout out to one of my favorite books and explain why I love it so much. It gives me the chance to fangirl over books I never reviewed on this blog and lets me post about some non-YA books I love.

Yes, I realize that today's favorite "book" is actually an author. But since I hands-down wholeheartedly adore every single book she's written, I decided to post about them together.


Which book?
"Garden Secrets," "The Sugar Queen," "The Girl Who Chased the Moon," "The Peach Keeper"--all by Sarah Addison Allen

Genre?
Contemporary women's fiction

When did I first read it?
The first Sarah Addison Allen book I read was "The Sugar Queen." I read it in 2010. After I finished that one, I went back and read "Garden Secrets" almost immediately. Then I read "The Girl Who Chased the Moon" and "The Peach Keeper" as they were released (2010 and 2011, I think).

Why did I first read it?
I was introduced to Sarah Addison Allen's books by a review of "The Sugar Queen" on Angieville. She just made it sound so good that I knew I had to read it. Then once I read "The Sugar Queen," I was thoroughly addicted, and I knew, come hell or high water, I would be reading her other books.

What did I think about it then?
When I finished "The Sugar Queen," I knew I was in love. Allen's just such a talented writer, and her stories are these perfect blends of magical realism, Southern charm, and gentle romance that made me smile and swoon as I read them. I stayed up way past my bedtime reading each book.

What do I think about it now?
I still love these books as much now as I did when I first read them. I think they top my list of comfort reads that I go back to again and again. And I've gotten a bunch of other people addicted to them too, because I recommend them all the time. If I had to pick a favorite, I'd probably go with "The Girl Who Chased the Moon," but they're all perfectly lovely.

Have you read anything by Sarah Addison Allen? What did you think?

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read any Sarah Addison Allen books but they way you speak about them makes me want to pick one up right now. Have added them to the TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read all of these books (except The Peach Keeper) and love them all! The Peach Keeper is now next on my list. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...