Thursday, February 9, 2012

Review: Don’t Breathe a Word

Don’t Breathe a Word, by Holly Cupala. The GoodReads summary:
Joy Delamere is suffocating...

From asthma, which has nearly claimed her life. From her parents, who will do anything to keep that from happening. From delectably dangerous Asher, who is smothering her from the inside out.

Joy can take his words - tender words, cruel words - until the night they go too far.

Now, Joy will leave everything behind to find the one who has offered his help, a homeless boy called Creed. She will become someone else. She will learn to survive. She will breathe... if only she can get to Creed before it’s too late.

Set against the gritty backdrop of Seattle’s streets and a cast of characters with secrets of their own, Holly Cupala’s powerful new novel explores the subtleties of abuse, the meaning of love, and how far a girl will go to discover her own strength.
Every once in a while after I finish a book, I have no idea what I’m going to say in my review. I just sit there thinking about the book and drawing a blank. And that’s how I felt about this book. Don’t get me wrong--it was an amazing, powerful book, but I just feel so . . . out of my league or something. I mean, what do I know about homelessness and abuse and chronic illness? Pretty much nothing, that’s what. So this book kinda overwhelmed me a bit, just because there wasn’t much I could relate to.

The writing was fantastic, though, and maybe that was part of my problem. It all felt so gritty and real, and it made my stomach hurt to realize that all the terrible things that happen in this book happen in real life. I never quite connected to any of the characters--it’s not that they weren’t likeable, it’s just that their lives are so hard I think I was worried that it would break my heart to get attached to them.

Apparently this is going to be a really short review, because I’ve been sitting here in front of my computer, just staring at the screen, trying to put my thoughts into words. But I’m failing miserably. Don’t take that to mean that this book isn’t worth reading--in fact it’s the opposite. This book is so worth it. Just, I don’t know, brace yourself or something, because it’s going to hit you like a punch in the gut.

1 comment:

  1. This is what I hate about reviewing books sometimes. It's the ones that you liked but can't get your head round that make it so difficult to express what you want to say. I've seen this one around and I like the sound of it. Helps that the cover is amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...