Monday, August 29, 2011

Mini-Review: Abandon

Mini-reviews are where I write about books that I want to mention but am either too lazy or too busy to write a full-length review for. I say what I thought about the book in 5 sentences then share a quote I liked from the book.

Abandon, by Meg Cabot. The summary:
Though she tries returning to the life she knew before the accident, Pierce can't help but feel at once a part of this world, and apart from it. Yet she's never alone . . . because someone is always watching her. Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back.

But now she's moved to a new town. Maybe at her new school, she can start fresh. Maybe she can stop feeling so afraid.

Only she can't. Because even here, he finds her. That's how desperately he wants her back. She knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven, yet she can't stay away... especially since he always appears when she least expects it, but exactly when she needs him most.

But if she lets herself fall any further, she may just find herself back in the one place she most fears: the Underworld.
Mini-review:
First of all, I’ve read like 95 percent of the books Meg Cabot’s written, so I like I'm qualified to say that “Abandon” isn’t like any of her others; it’s . . .darker? and not as funny. And I didn’t think Pierce was especially likable as a main character--I seriously couldn’t understand the reasoning behind why she did half the stuff she does; not to mention her flashbacks were a frustratingly slow way to learn what was really going on. And John (the love interest) . . . I feel like I could like him, except he’s not in much of the book--and when he is, he’s injuring people or fighting with Pierce. And why is he so into her anyway?--they’ve spent a cumulative total of like two hours together. Basically, this book wasn’t really my thing, but I don’t know if it’s because it’s a paranormal (a genre don’t tend to like), or if it’s because the book legitimately wasn’t as good as Cabot’s others.

The quote:
Did you see a light?

That’s the first thing everyone wants to know when they find out I died and came back. It’s the first thing my seventeen-year-old cousin Alex asked me tonight at Mom’s party.

“Did you see a light?”

No sooner were the words out of Alex’s mouth than his dad, my uncle Chris, slapped him on the back of the head.

“Ow,” Alex said, reaching up to rub his scalp. “What’s wrong with asking if she saw a light?”

“It’s rude,” Uncle Chris said tersely. “You don’t ask people who died that.”

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you can say a lot in five sentences Karen. Great idea doing a mini review. Sometimes, I think I should do only mini reviews. Quotes always show much more than long reviews can anyway. I really liked the quote too. Although maybe not enough to pick up the book based on your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...