Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Review: Lady Julia Grey series

We interrupt the regularly scheduled programming . . .

I mostly read YA, with the occasional chic lit thrown in, but every once in a while I like mix it up a little. So recently I started the Lady Julia Grey novels, by Deanna Raybourn. And can I just say they are AMAZING. I finished book three last night, and I'm already wanting to re-read it. And I'm really not one for series, so the fact that I'm so into this one shows ya how much I adore them.

They're mysteries that take place in Victorian England, centering around Lady Julia Grey--a strong, independent, freakin' awesome woman who inevitably ends up getting involved in the cases of a certain brooding private detective named Nicholas Brisbane. These books are just so witty, you guys. Julia and her eccentric family just make me smile over and over. And Brisbane . . . swoon city. Three-fourths of the time I was almost ready to write him off for being so frustrating and secretive and cold, but then he'd do or say something that'd make me want to clutch the book to my chest and sigh his name longingly.

There are currently five books in the series (as far as I know): Silent in the Grave, Silent in the Sanctuary, Silent on the Moor, Dark Road to Darjeeling, and The Dark Enquiry. Like I said, I just finished book three, and I seriously can't wait to read the two I haven't yet. So if you like period novels or mysteries or clever, witty writing, try these books. Seriously. I mean, just try reading these opening sentences from Silent in the Grave without getting sucked in:
To say that I met Nicholas Brisbane over my husband's dead body is not entirely accurate. Edward, it should be noted, was still twitching upon the floor.
See? Told'ja.

2 comments:

  1. I've been looking to deviate from my usual YA reading material lately too. I think I am a bit dystopianed out! That quote is priceless. Thanks for the great review. I will def check this book out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love this series! I've also read the first three.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...