Thursday, July 28, 2011

Pegasus

So, "Pegasus" by Robin McKinley. We all know how much I absolutely love Robin McKinley's books. And I liked this one too. It's just that, for some reason, I don't have that much to say about it (I know, right? SHOCKER! Karen doesn't want to go on and on about a book!).

But first, the summary (and don't be embarrassed to swoon over the ridiculously amazing cover):
Because of a thousand-year-old alliance between humans and pegasi, Princess Sylviianel is ceremonially bound to Ebon, her own pegasus, on her twelfth birthday. The two species coexist peacefully, despite the language barriers separating them. Humans and pegasi both rely on specially-trained Speaker magicians as the only means of real communication.
But it’s different for Sylvi and Ebon. They can understand each other. They quickly grow close—-so close that their bond becomes a threat to the status quo—-and possibly to the future safety of their two nations.
I actually think I know why I don't much to say. It's because this book felt like it spent the whole time setting up for the next book (!!! Robin McKinley's starting a series?!? But that's a whole 'nother topic.), and hence it didn't spend enough time being its own book. McKinley did an awesome job setting up the characters and the conflict, but . . . she didn't DO anything with them in this book; it's like it was all the background information we're going to need for the NEXT book. So now it feels like I'm trying to write a review about the first half of a book without having read the second half . . . it's kinda difficult.

But let me make it clear: I did like the book. And I LOVED the characters--Silvi, Ebon, the King, the tutor--I want them all to be my friends. And I thought McKinley did a great job developing the Pegasi--culturally, historically, socially--and making them and their interactions with humans so believable (well, you know, believable within the context of the story). So needless to say, I'm super excited for the next one to come out (20122014--Gah! I can't wait that loooong!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...