Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Mistwood

Here's the deal--I really wanted to like "Mistwood," by Leah Cypess. The premise seemed so interesting:
Isabel remembers nothing. Nothing before the prince rode into her forest to take her back to the castle. Nothing about who she is supposed to be, or the powers she is supposed to have.

Prince Rokan needs Isabel to be his Shifter. He needs her ability to shift to animal form, to wind, to mist. He needs her lethal speed and superhuman strength. And he needs her loyalty—-because without it, she may be his greatest threat.

Isabel knows that her prince is lying to her, but she can't help wanting to protect him from the dangers and intrigues of the court . . . until a deadly truth shatters the bond between them.

Now Isabel faces a choice that threatens her loyalty, her heart . . . and everything she thought she knew.
I guess I'll start off by saying I'd give "Mistwood" a 3 out of 5. It wasn't bad, but it could've been so much better. It's just that the characters fell completely flat for me. Isabel is boring . . . which is quite an amazing feat for someone who is involved in so much intrigue and action. And Rokan annoyed me more often than not. He was just so rash and full of himself and always either lounging around in his doublet or doing something stupid. I basically couldn't stand him. And we all know that if I don't like the male lead, there's no hope. And really, don't get me started on the relationship between Isabel and Rokan . . . there's basically no reason for them to each like the other.

But I will give Cypess kudos for the basic plot--it really was a good idea. The whole shifter-who-can't-remember-what's-going-on angle was intriguing, and Cypess did a good job at keeping the plot from getting too predictable. And there was a twist towards the end I was totally not expecting. Seriously. That part made the book go up a few points in my estimation.

So it's not like I'm saying not to read "Mistwood." I did generally enjoy it. I just really, REALLY wish the characters had been given a little more, you know, character.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...