Friday, July 27, 2012

Friday Favorites: Robin McKinley

On Fridays I post a little shout out to one of my favorite books and explain why I love it so much. It gives me the chance to fangirl over books I never reviewed on this blog and lets me post about some not necessarily YA books I love.


Which book?
Everything ever written by Robin McKinley

Genre?
Fantasy

Summary?
Her books are (in no particular order)
-Beauty
-Rose Daughter
-Spindle’s End
-Deerskin
-The Outlaws of Sherwood
-Chalice
-Pegasus
-The Blue Sword
-The Hero and the Crown
-Sunshine
-Dragonhaven
And four short story collections (at least that I can remember)

When did I first read it?
The first of her books that I read was “Beauty,” a Beauty and the Beast retelling, and I read it around age 12 or so.

Why did I first read it?
My older sister bought me “Beauty” for my birthday, and I’ve never been one to turn up my nose at a free book. The rest of the books I read because I knew how freaking talented Robin McKinley is and didn’t want to miss anything she’s written.

What did I think about it then?
I loved “Beauty” right away. The main character is so down-to-earth and easy to relate to. Plus, who doesn’t love a good Beauty and the Beast story? I liked it so much, I read “Rose Daughter” next, which is her other Beauty and the Beast retelling (and seriously, it takes a ridiculously amazing author to essentially write the same story twice and make both of them fantastic). As I read through the rest of McKinley’s books, there were never any that I didn’t like. Yes, there were some I liked more than others, but I’ve reread all of them at least twice (seriously, I had to tape the binding together on some of my favorites), and the more I read them the more they grow on me.

What do I think about it now?
I always shy away from the question of who’s my favorite author, but I have the sneaking suspicion that if forced to answer, I’d say Robin McKinley. I love her narrative voice and writing style A LOT, and she has this dry, sneaky humor that never fails to make me smile. Plus her heroines are all strong and amazing while still being totally relatable. It’s hard for me to pick my favorites of her books, but I think I’d have to go with “The Blue Sword” and “Spindle’s End,” with a tie between “The Hero and the Crown” and “Chalice” for third. But really, it’s impossible to go wrong with one of her books. And, she also writes a hilarious blog. Oh, and she once responded to an email I wrote her, which even more firmly cemented my admiration for her.

Have you read any of these books? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...