Thursday, March 21, 2013

Review: Friends with Boys

Friends with Boys, by Faith Erin Hicks. The GoodReads summary:
Maggie McKay hardly knows what to do with herself. After an idyllic childhood of homeschooling with her mother and rough-housing with her older brothers, it’s time for Maggie to face the outside world, all on her own. But that means facing high school first. And it also means solving the mystery of the melancholy ghost who has silently followed Maggie throughout her entire life. Maybe it even means making a new friend—one who isn’t one of her brothers.
This is the first graphic novel I’ve read, and it was actually a really good experience. It took me a couple pages to get used to the storytelling method, but once I did, I enjoyed it a lot. It was a bit like watching a movie, I thought: all dialog and images. But I was really impressed at how much emotion and subtext the author/artist was able to convey with a few words and some drawings.

The story itself was a lot of fun. I loved all the characters and especially enjoyed the sibling relationships. I adored Lucy and her eagerness to make friends with Maggie, and Alastair was a total hottie, mohawk and all. I was a little confused about the role the ghost was supposed to play in the story, but the lack of explanation didn’t bother me over much because I was too busy having a good time.

Overall, a really good first-time experience with a YA graphic novel. I’d totally read another one, so if you’ve got any suggestions let me know.

Rating: 3.5 / 5

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it surprising how much storytelling can be done with a graphic novel? This sounds like a really cute story. I haven't seen a love interest with a mohawk before either!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...