Friday, June 24, 2011

Clarity

So, "Clarity," by Kim Harrington: let's start off with a summary, shall we?
Clarity "Clare" Fern sees things. Things no one else can see. Things like stolen kisses and long-buried secrets. All she has to do is touch an object and the visions come to her. It's a gift.

And a curse.

When a teenage girl is found murdered, Clare's ex-boyfriend wants her to help solve the case--but Clare is still furious at the cheating jerk. Then Clare's brother--who has supernatural gifts of his own--becomes the prime suspect, and Clare can no longer look away. Teaming up with Gabriel, the smoldering son of the new detective, Clare must venture into the depths of fear, revenge, and lust in order to track the killer. But will her sight fail her just when she needs it most?
Okay, so for some reason I wasn't expecting to like this book. I figured it would end up being one of the ones I would read a couple chapters of then start skimming. I think it was a combination of the cover (which is terrible) and the somewhat mixed reviews I've read about it. But surprisingly, I ended up liking it. It was a light, fun book. I realize those are weird words to use to describe a murder mystery, but they fit--this wasn't a sit on the edge of your seat, bite your nails, be afraid to turn off the light kind of mystery. It was more Nancy Drew.

And actually, the Nancy Drew comparison is fairly apt (and believe me, I would know--I was addicted to Nancy Drew books growing up): Clare is a east-coast girl detective too. And like all the Nancy Drew books, it has that aspect of "Um, what adults would actually let their teenagers do that?"--I mean, come on; there's no way in real life a mayor and a detective would ask teenagers investigate a murder. Plus, this book has a total Ned Nickerson: Justin has all the good-boy, down-home qualities of Ned. I guess there aren't really any Bess and Georges (Clare doesn't have any girl friends), but I think Nate and Gabriel fill the sidekick roles. Basically, if Nancy Drew was psychic and more sarcastic, I could totally see her solving this mystery.

I admit I was a little bitter that none of the romance was resolved (ug, I hate love triangles), but I suspect the author's saving that for the sequel(s).

So if you're up for a little murder-mystery-lite, give this one shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...