Friday, June 17, 2011

Christmas break: A summary in books


I went home for two weeks for Christmas, and although we had some fun adventures (e.g., the zoo, Bate's Nut Farm, a winter solstice party, the dentist, Lake Miramar, game nights, friends' houses, "Tangled," movie nights--and days--at home, Night in Bethlehem, Christmas, YSA New Year's dance, etc.), per usual, there was a lot of down time when I could read. So believe me, I did. Here's what I read over break (at least, the ones I remember):

-"Anna and the French Kiss," by Stephanie Perkins (A nearly perfect YA romance. Seriously though. Of course they end up together, but Perkins makes you work for it. This one will make you want to go to France. And meet a hot English guy.)

-"How to Hook a Hottie" and "Top Ten Uses for an Unworn Prom Dress," by Tina Ferraro (Two quick-read YAs. Fluffy, but enjoyable.)

-"Before I Fall," by Lauren Oliver (You'll hate Samantha at the beginning, but by the end, you'll be cheering for her. Shock and horror, a book with actual character growth.)

-"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," by J.K. Rowling (A re-read. As a result of my sisters watching the HP movies, I realized I had zero recollection of how it all ended. So I read book 7 again and remembered how well done the series is.)

-"Fire" and "Water," by Robin McKinley and Peter Dickinson (I LOVE McKinley, but for some reason I hadn't read these short story collections by her and her husband. I definitely preferred the stories written by McKinley, and there were some that I loved so much I wished they were full-length books--"Water Horse" and "A Pool in the Desert" in "Water," and "Hellhound" and "First Flight" in "Fire.")

-"Seer of Sevenwaters," by Juliet Marillier (Book 5 in the Sevenwaters series and not as good as some of the others, but still enjoyable.)

-"The Lady Most Likely," Julia Quinn, Eloisa James, and Connie Brockway (Three short romance stories by three authors, tied together by a house party. The first story, by Julia Quinn, was my favorite.

-"Nothing Like You," by Lauren Strasnick (I'm still not sure whether or not I like that the ending was honest, but overall, a good read.)

-"What My Mother Doesn't Know," by Sonya Sones (This book is in verse, so it's a quick read, but it still manages to be an emotional love-life roller coaster.

Overall, a good break, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...