Monday, March 4, 2013

Review: Perfect Scoundrels

Perfect Scoundrels (Heist Society #3), by Ally Carter. The GoodReads summary:
Katarina Bishop and W.W. Hale the fifth were born to lead completely different lives: Kat comes from a long, proud line of loveable criminal masterminds, while Hale is the scion of one of the most seemingly perfect dynasties in the world. If their families have one thing in common, it's that they both know how to stay under the radar while getting--or stealing--whatever they want. No matter the risk, the Bishops can always be counted on, but in Hale's family, all bets are off when money is on the line. When Hale unexpectedly inherits his grandmother's billion dollar corporation, he quickly learns that there's no place for Kat and their old heists in his new role. But Kat won't let him go that easily, especially after she gets tipped off that his grandmother's will might have been altered in an elaborate con to steal the company's fortune. So instead of being the heir--this time, Hale might be the mark. Forced to keep a level head as she and her crew fight for one of their own, Kat comes up with an ambitious and far-reaching plan that only the Bishop family would dare attempt. To pull it off, Kat is prepared to do the impossible, but first, she has to decide if she's willing to save her boyfriend's company if it means losing the boy.
I love this series. I just really do. Not only is it a lot of fun, but I swear the pages of each book fly by until before I know it, I’m at the end and grinning like crazy.

While I liked this third installment in the series, I didn’t think it was quite as good as the first two, mostly because the con seemed a bit more predictable to me. In the first two books, I felt like I was being conned right along with Kat’s targets, and I was always surprised when I found out what was really going on. But in this book, although there were some things I didn’t guess, the con felt a bit more obvious than the ones in the other two books.

I also felt a bit let down that Hale was so angsty in this one. His grandmother has just died, so understandably he’s upset about it, but the book just didn’t feel the same without Hale’s normal debonair, witty self. I liked that we got to learn more about Hale's past and get deeper insight into his character, but I felt like the darker Hale couldn’t carry the story as well as his former lighter self could—it just wasn’t as much fun without his wise-cracking jokes.

I realize this review is coming off as a bit negative, when, honestly, I did enjoy the book a lot. It’s only when I compare it to the others in the series that it falls a little short. But I love these characters and this world that Ally Carter’s created enough to forgive a multitude of sins, and I’m going to carry on hoping that there will be even more books in this series. Especially since we still don't learn what the W in W.W. Hale stands for . . .

Rating: 4 / 5

The Heist Society series:
-Heist Society
-Uncommon Criminals

1 comment:

  1. You know what? I think this book is probably the one that has made me decide to read this series. I think there's something so amazing about characters who start off all light having something traumatic happen to them and having to overcome that. I'm glad that even though this one wasn't your favourite you still enjoyed it. Maybe the next will see a resurgence of Hale's previous self.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...