Monday, January 21, 2013

Audiobook Review: The Boyfriend List

The Boyfriend List (Ruby Oliver #1), by E. Lockhart. The GoodReads summary:
Fifteen-year-old Ruby has had a rough ten days. During that time she:

* lost her boyfriend (#13 on the list)
* lost her best friend (Kim)
* lost all her other friends (Nora, Cricket)
* did something suspicious with a boy (#10)
* did something advanced with a boy (#15)
* had an argument with a boy (#14)
* had a panic attack
* lost a lacrosse game (she's the goalie)
* failed a math test (she'll make it up)
* hurt Meghan's feelings (even though they aren't really friends)
* became a social outcast (no one to sit with at lunch)
* had graffiti written about her in the girls' bathroom (who knows what was in the
boys'!?!)

But don't worry—Ruby lives to tell the tale. And make more lists.
I actually had already read this book a year or two ago, and apparently I liked it, because I know I read the rest of the series. The thing is, I couldn’t remember anything about the book. So when I was at the library recently, trying to find audiobooks for an upcoming road trip, I decided to give The Boyfriend List another shot.

The audiobook was read by Mandy Siegfried, and I really liked her narrative style. I don’t know how old the narrator was, but she managed to bring 15-year-old Ruby to life for me. The combination of Siegfried’s reading and Lockhart’s writing made the whole experience feel like I was sitting in my car listening to a friend tell me about all the drama going on in her life. It didn’t feel like someone was reading to me at all. Half the time, I wouldn’t have been surprised if I looked over and Ruby was sitting next to me in the passenger seat.

The story itself was much more hilarious than I remember it being the first time I read it. I laughed out loud so many times because Ruby is just so witty and funny. There were quite a few lines I wanted to write down. I also liked how well Lockhart, through Ruby, manages to capture what being a girl is like. Although Ruby’s life has way more boy drama than mine ever did (or does), the way she reacts to it and processes it is just so easy for me to relate to. I also gained a greater appreciation this time through of how well Lockhart organizes the book. The chapters are all based off different boys from Ruby’s Boyfriend List, and Lockhart manages not only to discuss the boys in question, but also create a cohesive story out of it.

Overall, The Boyfriend List is a lot of fun, and the narration by Mandy Siegfried only made me enjoy the story more.

Rating: 4 / 5

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I've SO been wanting to read this series. I can't do audiobooks for some reason. My attention span wanders big time, but I do want to read these! Glad you still enjoyed it the second time!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...