Monday, February 3, 2014

Review: Wild Cards

Wild Cards, by Simone Ekeles. The Goodreads summary:
After getting kicked out of boarding school, bad boy Derek Fitzpatrick has no choice but to live with his ditzy stepmother while his military dad is deployed. Things quickly go from bad to worse when he finds out she plans to move them back to her childhood home in Illinois. Derek’s counting the days before he can be on his own, and the last thing he needs is to get involved with someone else’s family drama.

Ashtyn Parker knows one thing for certain--people you care about leave without a backward glance. A football scholarship would finally give her the chance to leave. So she pours everything into winning a state championship, until her boyfriend and star quarterback betrays them all by joining their rival team. Ashtyn needs a new game plan, but it requires trusting Derek—someone she barely knows, someone born to break the rules. Is she willing to put her heart on the line to try and win it all?
Huh. Well. This book. I can’t deny I enjoyed it. Or that I basically read it all in one sitting. But I can’t necessarily claim that it has very many redeeming qualities either. Or that I didn’t roll my eyes through most of it. It was a bit like watching a soap opera, I think. You can get sucked into the relationships and storyline, but there’s no denying that it’s rather overdone and ridiculous.

The two main characters were meh—I didn’t particularly like or dislike them. And their relationship is one of those where they claim they hate each other for no reason, despite their obvious attraction. It tried my patience a bit, but I thought it managed to hold itself together relatively well until the end, when all the sudden realizations of love and uncalled-for personality shifts started cropping up at a rather alarming rate. The side characters are flat, though I think the storyline with the sister moving back home could’ve been interesting if it had gone anywhere, as could the one with the grandmother if she hadn’t had a completely random personality transplant.

Overall, I’ll admit I had fun, but it was the kind of enjoyment that comes from reading something on just the wrong side of ridiculous. It wasn’t as bad as the third Perfect Chemistry book, though, so I’ll definitely give it that.

Rating: 2.5 / 5

2 comments:

  1. I totally understand how you feel. Not about this book in particular but about not loving a book but feeling compelled to read it regardless! I've seen other reviews of this one that had the same reaction too. I find most people prefer the other Perfect Chemistry books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. That's true. That last PC book was unbearably bad.

    This one really was just meh.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...