Monday, September 30, 2013

Where's the tissues? Six books that made me ugly cry

I'm not much of a crier. Funerals and when I'm super stressed are about it. But every once in a while a book or movie will have me tearing up, and even more rarely than that, sometimes a book will come along that has me practically sobbing. I got on this topic because a certain book's been on my mind lately: "A Swift Pure Cry," by Siobhan Dowd. I read it probably four years ago, and that book made me a hot mess from beginning to end. And lately I've been wanting to reread it, but I'm a bit nervous of the emotional commitment it demands. Anyway, thinking about that book had me thinking about what other books I loved that had me full-on crying, and these are the ones that first sprang to mind:

"A Swift Pure Cry," by Siobhan Dowd.
This book is the ultimate sobfest for me. Like, I don't think I've read any that compare in terms of prompting copious waterworks from me. Shell goes through some horrific things, made worse by the fact that she doesn't have anyone to rely on outside her younger siblings. But what puts this book over the top for me in terms of tears is how beautifully it's written. It's a double whammy to have such a heartbreaking story told so perfectly.

"My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece," by Annabel Pitcher. 
I managed to barely hold it together throughout the book and was feeling pretty proud of myself for doing so until I hit this one scene near the end involving the cat that just pushed me over the edge.

"Deerskin," by Robin McKinley.
I love this book so much, but I have to brace myself a little every time I read it. Because I know I'll not only cry during the devastating bits, but I'll also cry through every step of Lissar's slow and painful journey of healing.

"Between Shades of Gray," by Ruta Sepetys. 
Well, seeing as how this book's about a Soviet prison camp in the 1940s, I don't think I need to give much of an explanation about why this one had me sobbing.

"With This Ring," by Carla Kelly.
It's a romance novel, so there shouldn't be any tears, right? Wrong. When I first read this book, I was up past my bedtime in the room I shared with my little sisters, and I remember trying to sob as quietly as possible so I wouldn't wake them up. Happily, this book only had me crying in the beginning, and the rest of the book was the story of Lydia gaining the self-confidence her abusive family had never let her have. One of my favorite romance novels--juuust saying.

"Little Women," by Louisa May Alcott.
Anyone who's read this book can probably guess exactly where I fell apart. Hint: it involves Beth. But what made this book so memorable to me in terms of crying is that it's the first book I remember crying over. I think I was in 5th grade or so, and up until I read this book, I don't think I knew that the written word could make me cry.



So. What books make you cry? Do you have any that just get to you every single time?

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I totally love a good crying book. I've only read two of those and they were both tear jerkers. I just finished The Book Thief recently, too, and I was such. a. mess. at the end of that. Someday I'll have to actually read Little Women. Maybe when i'm in a crying mood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore Deerskin and remember absolutely bawling and kind of covering my eyes during that part with her father-such a tough read! Between Shades of Gray and Little Women didn't make me cry but I can see how they're emotional reads. Haven't read the others but will keep them on my radar.

    Books that have made me cry include A Walk to Remember (also thinking about the movie), Code Name Verity, and Rose Under Fire.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...