Monday, June 24, 2013

Review: Pivot Point

Pivot Point, by Kasie West. The GoodReads summary:
Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through . . . and who she can’t live without.
Okay, this is going to be short. Basically, I wasn’t wowed by the first three-fourths of the book, but it was just barely interesting enough for me to keep reading. Similarly, I found Addie, the main character, annoying at times but never annoying enough to make me quit the book. I liked the idea of seeing two possible futures and enjoyed that general aspect of the book, but some of the other plot points I thought lacked development. The last fourth of the book is where the book got legitimately good. That’s where the two futures started overlapping more and where the pace finally picked up. That last chunk saved the book for me.

Rating: 3 / 5

3 comments:

  1. I don't know why but books where the MC can see the future don't really appeal to me. I think it limits possible development. It's quite obvious which of the two choices Addie should make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I'm sorry that you didn't really like this one, Karen! I've seen some stunning reviews of this one, and had been looking forward to it. However, the first 3/4 seems quite dull, actually, and it sucks that some of the plot points lacked a lot of development. Addie also seems like a very meh character to me. At least the last fourth of the book was able to slightly redeem the book for you!

    Lovely review, Karen. I think I'll still pick this one up, but with lowered expectations. <3

    -Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry this didn't work better for you-I ended up really loving it to my surprise and being excited for the sequel. Better luck with your next read!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...