Friday, January 11, 2013

Review: My Life Next Door

My Life Next Door, by Huntley Fitzpatrick. The GoodReads summary:
The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, numerous, messy, affectionate. And every day from her balcony perch, seventeen-year-old Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs her terrace and changes everything. As the two fall fiercely in love, Jase's family makes Samantha one of their own. Then in an instant, the bottom drops out of her world and she is suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?
I thought the first three-fourths of this book were quite adorable. Jase and Samantha are just so cute together, and it was fun to see them fall in love. I loved their easy and uncomplicated relationship and how well they seem to mesh with each other. Individually, they’re both nice, laid-back people, and together they would probably win every cutest couple award.

The last fourth of the book I wasn’t quite as thrilled with. A Major Tragedy occurs, and while I thought Samantha’s internal struggle to do the right thing was well written, I thought Jase was a little too understanding about what happened. Not that I wanted him to be petty, but I find it hard to believe that anyone would be that understanding, especially at first. I also thought the resolution was a bit rushed and that the consequences of what happened were a little too easily fixed.

I think, overall, the secondary characters weren't especially well developed, but that didn’t stop me from loving some of them all the same. Jase’s sister Alice and her ever-changing hair were completely awesome, and I admired the way she balanced her crazy love life and bad-A attitude with her responsibilities to her family and nursing school. I also really came to like Tim, Samantha’s friend. At first I pretty much thought he was worthless, but as the story progressed he really started growing on me.

Overall, this book was adorably cute and fluffy until the Major Tragedy occurred, at which point I thought the book kinda lost a bit of its charm. But still, it was worth the read and I enjoyed most of it.

Rating: 3.5 / 5

3 comments:

  1. That is exactly how I felt about this book. I like to just pretend the last part never happened. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand that there needed to be a bit more conflict but I wasn't super thrilled with how everything went down at the end-much stronger beginning than end for this book.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...