Friday, November 30, 2012

Friday Favorites: Dealing with Dragons

On Fridays I post a little shout out to one of my favorite books and explain why I love it so much. It gives me the chance to fangirl over books I never reviewed on this blog and lets me post about some not-necessarily-YA books I love.


Which book?
Dealing with Dragons, by Patricia Wrede

Genre?
Middle-grade (maybe?) fantasy.

Summary? (from GoodReads)
Take one bored princess. Make her the seventh daughter in a very proper royal family. Have her run away.

Add one powerful, fascinating, dangerous dragon.

Princess Cimorene has never met anyone (or anything) like the dragon Kazul. But then, she's never met a witch, a jinn, a death-dealing talking bird, or a stone prince either.

Princess Cimorene ran away to find some excitement.

She's found plenty.

When did I first read it?
Elementary school sometime.

Why did I first read it?
My older sister read the last book in this series (Talking to Dragons) out loud to my younger siblings and me. I loved that story and thought it was hilarious, so I decided to read the whole series from the beginning.

What did I think about it then?
I was happy to discover that I liked Dealing with Dragons even more than I did Talking to Dragons. Cimorene is just so stinkin’ awesome. I loved how she took matters into her own hands and didn’t need saving by any prince. She’s very much her own person, and I just wanted to BE Cimorene. Plus, the whole being a dragon’s princess totally appealed to me, as did the adventures, magic, and throwing soapy water at wizards.

What do I think about it now?
I love this whole series. Dealing with Dragons is my favorite of them, but all the books are so well done. And funny. I don’t think I’ve accurately conveyed how clever and amusing these books are. I thought they were funny when I was in elementary school, and I still think they’re hilarious now, which says something about their quality, I think.

Have you read this book? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...