Friday, October 26, 2012

Friday Favorites: The Scorpio Races

On Fridays I post a little shout out to one of my favorite books and explain why I love it so much. It gives me the chance to fangirl over books I never reviewed on this blog and lets me post about some not-necessarily-YA books I love.


Which book?
The Scorpio Races, by Maggie Stiefvater

Genre?
YA fantasy

Summary? (from GoodReads)
It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line. Some riders live. Others die.

At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them.

Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn’t given her much of a chance. So she enters the competition--the first girl ever to do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen.

When did I first read it?
Almost exactly a year ago.

Why did I first read it?
The buzz. Some bloggers I trust loved it, so that was all I needed.

What did I think about it then?
You can read my original review here, but basically I fell head over heels for this book. I’m a sucker for horse books anyway, but Kate and Sean are fantastic protagonists and the language is beautiful to boot.

What do I think about it now?
Though I’ve read some really good books this last year, “The Scorpio Races” is hands down my favorite of those. It’s indisputably earned a place toward the top of my favorite-books list. It’s just . . . so good. And beautiful. A little slower and more reflective than most YAs, but I wouldn’t change a thing about it. Maggie Stiefvater nails the narrative style in this one. And Sean . . . I think he’s number 2 on my list of swooniest YA boys. I'll be rereading this book in November for sure.

Have you read this book? What did you think?

6 comments:

  1. This book ended up being a *little* too slow for me although I do appreciate its beauty and Stiefvater's majestic writing. I'm very excited to check out The Raven Boys, which I've heard is very different and yet still obviously bears Stiefvater's touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't end up finishing this one. Not because it wasn't good, I guess it just wasn't fast paced enough for me. I don't think Stiefvater is really for me as I couldn't get into The Wolves of Mercy Falls either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read this book. I ADORE slow and beautiful books, and lament the sad lack of them in YA (although I totally get why there aren't more). I also love Stiefvater's writing, but did not enjoy the storyline of Shiver. I've heard really good things about this book from a few bloggers I trust, so I'm really excited to get into it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yayy! I loveeee this book and I'm actually planning to re-read it on November 1st too, so I can't wait! I feel as if I rushed through it the first time around, just so I could know what happened, so I want to take my time re-reading it and savoring every word Maggie writes. She's brilliant. Also, if you don't mind me asking, who's #1 on your list of swoonworthy guys? I can't imagine anyone topping Sean! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean is really hard to top, but Jonah Griggs, from Jellicoe Road, will always hold the #1 place in my heart! :)

      Delete
  5. While recognizable in its poetic prose and haunting tone, "The Scorpio Races" is unlike any other book Stiefvater -- or other paranormal-romance writers -- have ever created. Slow but sublime.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...